Thursday, April 27, 2023

Paintings Of The Faith

 Today we begin with The Dead Christ On The Cross, by Philippe de Champaigne, dating to around 1655-60.


Mary Magdalen, circa 1520-25, is by Domenico Puligo.


Here we have The Virgin And Child With An Angel, circa 1535-39, by Francesco Salviati


Portrait Of An Elderly Man is by Jacopo Tintoretto, circa 1565-75.


The Annunciation Of The Virgin's Death is by Paulus Bor, dating to around 1635-40.


This painting is Landscape With Two Watermills, circa 1670, by Meindert Hobbema. I still remember a conversation with a docent about this one several years ago- the painting looks empty of activity at first glance, but when you start really looking, there are people all over the place.

34 comments:

  1. Nice vivid paintings for Christianity

    ReplyDelete
  2. so far I have never seen a human with wings, but it's true, I am not an angel ! I don't like this kind of painting, it's always the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Landscape With Two Watermills if my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful art, I love the landscape. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These tell a lot about the times, these paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last piece really draws you in when you looks closely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You won't be surprised if I say that I especially like 'Landscape with two watermills', I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big on crucifixion art -- I find it depressing. But I do love that landscape. Interesting about the little people in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are documenting some amazing art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Religion must have been very important in those days in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that scene in the last painting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me encanta la Virgen, con el Niño y el ángel. Tiene una bonita escena.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely paintings of 'The Faith' ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful paintings. My favorite is Landscape With Two Watermills.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lot of character shines through in that elderly man's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last is my favourite in this collection.

    ReplyDelete