Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Totems

 Carrying on today, this strong portrait is The Farmer's Daughter, a 1945 painting by Prudence Heward.


Edwin Holgate of the Group of Seven painted Nude In A Landscape around 1930.


Another work by Heward, and of the works I've seen by her, this one is my favourite. Girl On A Hill dates to 1928.


This one is another standout. Heward painted Girl In Yellow Sweater in 1936.


Sky is a painting by Emily Carr, dating to 1935-36.


Forest Interior In Shafts Of Light is another work by Carr, dating to 1935-37.


Here we have another work by Holgate: Totem Poles, Gitsegukla dates to 1927 and features a subject matter that Emily Carr would spend much of her life working on.


Some of Carr's paintings are on the far wall here. In the foreground within the display case are items like moccasins, typical for various First Nations peoples.


Today I finish with Town of Cobalt, by Yvonne McKague Housser, done around 1935.

52 comments:

  1. The paintings make me think of Gaughin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great exhibit. I like the last photo of the town. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I like Town of Cobalt, by Yvonne McKague Housser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't make a choise today, William, too much beauty together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the focus on female artists today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The display of the First Nation objects works really well with that blue wall in its background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post. I like the portraits and the final shot of a town is really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Farmer's Daughter and the last painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know that the Group of Seven did portraits and they are awesome portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In this case, I think I like the portraits better than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorites are the Totem Poles and the Town of Cobalt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite is the totem pole painting, though all of these are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative and expressive paintings ~ like the styles ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. La hija del granjero, se ve de fuerte carácter y capaz de enfrentarse a todos los problemas propios de su trabajo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Instant classics! One can see why they are proudly displayed in the national museum

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gesture and Hound in Field have similar rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I relate well to these portraits. They remind me of real people, people you might see or talk with (unlike the more formal portraits of previous eras.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do envy your life in a *real* city with so many cultural opportunities. Wonderful portrait gallery here. Must add however that I could have looked at your header photo for an hour or so and been happy ... stunning spring photo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I particularly like the selection of shoes in the display case.

    ReplyDelete