Monday, April 17, 2023

Seven

 The Group of Seven exhibited together from 1920-33, and changed the way Canadian art was seen at home and abroad. There was always seven members, though some came and went to be replaced by others, and the Group were associated closely with other artists. Their art was not just about how a place looked, but how it felt.

F.H.Varley was one of their number, and this is Stormy Weather, Georgian Bay, from 1921.


The Solemn Land is a 1921 painting by J.E.H. MacDonald, another member of the Group.


One of my favourite paintings here is The Red Maple, dating to 1914 by A.Y. Jackson, another member of the Group.


The Hilltop is a 1921 painting by Franklin Carmichael, yet another member of the Group.


There are a series of small canvases used for painting out in the field, later to be transferred to the canvas, a technique common to the Group. These are the works of Tom Thomson, who was himself hugely influential on his friends in the Group, but who died before they started formally exhibiting together. The other members of the Group deemed him one of their own, and to this day, the art world often refers to them as Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven.


Moonlight is a 1913-14 work by Thomson, who drowned in Canoe Lake in Algonquin Park in 1917.


More of Thomson's field canvases are here.


Burnt Land is a 1915 painting by Thomson.


I finish today with a work of art by a First Nations artist, suitably displayed among these works by the Group of Seven. Spirit of the Forest- Mother Nature is a 2013 sculpture by John Marston.

54 comments:

  1. You read my mind - I hoped we might see more of the Seven. The sculpture somehow reminds me of the Green Man carvings we see in some of our old churches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sculpture looks a bit angry there. The paintings look a bit cartoonish. Excuse my lack of artistic quality lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post reminds me of a wonderful day spent looking at the paintings by the Group of Seven when we visited the McMichael Canadian Art Collection several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Members of the Group of Seven made a lot of beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    The landscapes are my favorites, I love all of them. The sculpture is interesting. Have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The works of the Group of Seven mightily stir my Canadian soul and remind me of the magnificent landscape that is part of my experience. Tropical islands have their place, but give me the Canadian Shield any day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, The Red Maple is well known. I wasn't familiar with the others in that lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, among other things, it's the association with the specific river in that painting.

      Delete
  8. ...I love landscape paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the first painting best. Stormy weather and trees and water...good subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Red Maple is my favourite from these too, William.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's always more of the Group of Seven to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the 1st painting the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really like the Group of Seven's painting style ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your day,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful paintings by the Group of Seven. My favourite is the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that Jackson but Stormy Weather always speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the style of these paintings. The first one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You share wonderful exhibits William, always appreciate them. Thank you! The mask sculpture by John Marston was impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you about the Red Maple.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I find the Red Maple the most appealing also, as well as the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the one with the red leaves in it and the carving looks kind of like the Maori carvings that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with you on the red maple. That one is so beautiful and really captures the season.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I especially like 'Moonlight' ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty landscape paintings. As photographers we learn a lot about composition from painters.

    ReplyDelete