Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Odds And Ends In The Capital

Some odds and ends from around the city over the last few weeks today and tomorrow. I begin at Lansdowne Park, where in early July I attended a sports event. Women's rugby, with four national teams from Canada, the United States, New Zealand, and Australia participating. Canada and New Zealand were on the field. This is the first time I've ever seen the game played.


I try checking in on this project regularly. On Lebreton Flats, the future main branch of the Ottawa Public Library is being built. When finished, it will share space with Library and Archives Canada. I took this on a day coming back from Portage Bridge, with dramatic skies.


Unsettled weather has seemed to dominate our summer, along with smoky days. These dramatic cloud formations were above Dundonald Park on my way home one evening.


Utility boxes here tend to have art painted or applied to them by some means. Such is the case in the Glebe, where this one at Central Park has in the last few months become quite cheerfully painted.


Another unsettled evening, going home. 


The street here features two Chinese winged lions, it looks- part of a pattern of varied statues paired together through the Chinatown neighbourhood going west from here.


Another sign of summer- these blooms.


Late in July, I took this shot at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church downtown. Their sympathies are obvious.


I go down to the Portage Bridge a couple of times each month to photograph the view downstream for a post I'll show you later in the year. I waited until nearly the end of July, and a sunset visit. As it turned out, I couldn't have asked for better conditions, getting a rainbow out of it. This view was not from the main channel of the Ottawa River, but one of the secondary channels, as the river passes around a set of islands here. Parliament Hill, the Supreme Court, and Library and Archives Canada are seen here on the Ottawa shore. I might use the first of these shots for my summer header next year.

46 comments:

  1. Nice utility box. Ukraine... How long will that go on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting collection of photos today. Although a sports fan I am not that interested in Rugby be it men's or women's. I think that covering those boring utility boxes with creative art work is a clever idea. That last sky picture with the rainbow is worthy of framing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection of photos. I like the mural on the utility box, the rainbow shot and the flag for Ukraine.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rugby sports crowd looks impressive

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be quite a library when it’s finished. Won’t ban books either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. El deporte, que suelo ver normalmente, es el fútbol.
    Me gusta lo que muestras en tus fotografías

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I like the flag at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church! 💛💙

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those last two shots are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a good variety of subjects to chose from in your area but it takes work

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot in any bit of my imagination think how women play rugby. That last rainbow shot is certainly a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them formidable and fierce. It was quite an introduction to the game.

      Delete
  11. Love the rainbow. The library is going to be fantastic when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Great series of photos ~ favorite, of course, is the rainbow sky ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thoroughly enjoyed these photos again, thank you so much! Always a lot going on in your city.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful shots, William. You ended on a BANG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quite the collection William. I did like the vibrant painted flowers the most.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The street and sky photos are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos, love the utility box - so cheerful:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was good to see you out and about!
    I heard there was a rugby game. I find them tough to watch. My estranged youngest son played it. Gruesome!

    ReplyDelete