Monday, April 22, 2024

Visions And Views

Evening, Bic, Quebec is a 1974 painting by Henri Masson, and it is the first thing one sees coming into the next gallery space. 


Visions And Views is the current title of the exhibition in this space, spotlighting a number of works in the Firestone Collection.


40 percent of the Firestone Collection comes from works by the Group of Seven, the Canadian artists who exhibited together for a number of years and who left a big legacy on their contemporaries and the country.


This is Algoma Country II by Lawren Harris of the Group, done in 1923.


Here we have Interior Of An Island, Georgian Bay, by Arthur Lismer, another member of the Group, a 1952 painting.


Two paintings by Lismer- South Beach, Vancouver Island dates to 1963 and Georgian Bay Pines is from 1962.


In The Nickel Belt is a 1928 painting by Franklin Carmichael of the Group.


These are the works of A.Y. Jackson, another member of the Group. Fire Swept Country, Lake Superior dates to 1967. At top right is Willoughby Lake, a 1963 painting. And at lower right is St. Adele, dating to 1959.


These painting are all by A.J. Casson, another member of the Group. The top three are The Valley, Autumn (Lansing), Drag Lake, and Rock Formation-Dorset Road. At bottom are Margaret's Boat- Lake Of Two Rivers, Summer Day- Oxtongue Lake, and Winter Landscape- Muir Park.


Another work by Harris- Mount Thule, Bylot Island, circa 1930.

40 comments:

  1. That really is fine Canadian art. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth! Wonderful art. I wish I was smart enough to explain why it looks so Canadian but it does

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guys painted not only the way a place looked, but how it felt.

      Delete
  3. Canada certainly presents the artist with a wide choice of subject. I think I like all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the paintings of the pine trees. In real life, I call pines that look like the work of the Group of Seven, "G7s". "Oh look, there's a G7!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made me a fan of the Group of Seven over the years. You are showing some beautiful works again today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, iconic Canadian art. We spent a good part of yesterday in Gatineau Park, lovely shield country, with spring ephemerals beginning to enliven the forest floor, and no biting insects - yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colour in that first painting. It reminds me of Newfoundland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such poignant pictures, and they seem to represent the struggles of Canadians in their land.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have a wonderful selection of work by the Group of 7.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The more I see of the group of seven, the more I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like them all but my favourite is the Georgia Bay Pines one, nature paintings and photos are so restful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful series of landscape paintings ~ great photos ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores ~
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to an art show yesterday. I love looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you know how much I love it when you show the Group of Seven. I'm loving Algoma County II

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed seeing these paintings.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete