Friday, April 19, 2024

Gallery

On the same day I was out and about for some of the shots you saw yesterday, I came to pay a visit to the Ottawa Art Gallery, otherwise known as the OAG, a city gallery that stands at the fringes of the Sandy Hill neighbourhood. The property it is on shares space with this- a former courthouse that is now called Arts Court, a home for arts organizations, with links to the OAG both organizational and physical, as you can walk from one right into the other. The property also has a hotel at the left, and a former prison that today is a youth hostel.


The architecture of the courthouse really impresses.


Here we come to the courtyard where one of the main entrances of the OAG is to be found. The additions were a joint project between the gallery, the hotel, and the University of Ottawa, which has some space within the complex. The gallery houses a rotating series from the city collection and more.


Upstairs, I took this shot looking towards Sandy Hill and the University of Ottawa. A couple of church spires can be seen, including that of St. Joseph's Parish.


One of the gallery's current exhibits looks at the works of three recent graduates from the University of Ottawa.


On the floor we have The Boundaries Are Now Crossed by Heer Mandaliya.


This is With Turmeric On My Face And Chai In My Hands, also by her.

30 comments:

  1. I am guessing the area looked very different back when it was a prison. We have a former prison island smack in the middle of Stockholm, today a hotel, maybe 50 meters from a popular beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the prison still looks the part, as I'll show when I end this series.

      Delete
  2. Great architecture. The freemason look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...an interesting mix of architectural styles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection of buildings and a nice exhibit. Take care, have a wonderful day and a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that last piece, William.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive development for the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT SEEMS LIKE QUITE AN ARCHITECTURAL MIX FROM WHAT i CAN SEE. (caps lock)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in Ottawa right now, but I doubt I will get a chance to visit this gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite gallery/ art buildings ~ wonderful stone structures ~ neat series of photos ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy your Ottawa photos. We haven't been to town for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Took me a little bit to see the chair. That was heat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi William, the art about perceptions and sensory experiences is fascinating. Your city is so clean and beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Thank you, too, for commenting on my posts, even when I was AWOL. Enjoy your weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, the architecture of the courthouse is impressive.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete