Saturday, March 27, 2021

A Ramble Through Town

Today I have some odds and ends shots taken at various points in February and into early March. I start with the Chinatown arch, which is close to home, as I live on the eastern edges of the neighbourhood and see this each day.


Little Italy is nearby, and one day I noticed this detail in a store window. The day of the dead motif drew my eye.


Earlier in the month during my series of posts walking along the Rideau Canal, I mentioned that there's a light sculpture at Lansdowne Park. Here it is on two different nights, lit up. People can be seen in the second shot, giving a sense of scale to the whole thing.


Outside the entrances to the main post office on Sparks Street, each entrance is flanked by lions. Such as this pair.


Here we have a view from Plaza Bridge looking over the Rideau Canal as it descends to meet the Ottawa River. Gatineau lies on the far shore of the river. Water flowing through the Ottawa Locks here is at a minimum, but stays open over the winter.


One day in early March I happened to go out to the Portage Bridge to take a shot of the downstream view for a post I'll have in a couple of days. I decided to keep going into Gatineau for a bit, as I haven't been over there yet this year. As the bridge crosses onto the shore, this parkland is off to the side. A snow fence protects a bed of tulips here, waiting on the spring.


Across the road is part of the large complex Place du Portage, housing federal government offices, all interconnected by overpasses and bridges. It's a maze in there.


I went in regardless and photographed this colourful wall.


Most everything inside was closed. To be honest, I had no idea what the Quebec provincial status quo is in regards to Covid restrictions, so rather than go further into the city I decided I'd head back for the bridge and home. On my way I paused to photograph a model of the Portage complex.


And departing from the complex, I paused to take this view on the street. The spires of Parliament Hill back across the river can be seen.



And on another early March day, a more bright one, I took this photograph of the National War Memorial. Crews keep paths- including wheelchair ramps- clear of snow to allow for access throughout the winter for the monument. From here, I was heading nearby to Major's Hill Park for a walk, and we'll have a look at that tomorrow.

34 comments:

  1. Good ramble. Those lions have attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are regal looking lions! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see the CHina town arch, when people dress up in a day of the dead costume the make up fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Majestic looking Chinatown arch. Beautiful light sculpture when lighted up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why the Italians and Chinese live often side by side in another town. In New York it was the same. We only have a little China town, Italians are all over the country ! Mostly near the ancient coal mines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    The lights at night are beautiful. I love the lion sculptures. The China Town arch is pretty. Looks like a pretty March day for a walk. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have actually experienced the Day of the Dead festival, in Ecuador. It is really quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Maywyn: they do.

    @Catarina: I try to get a lot of those in.

    @Linda: thanks!

    @Amy: it is different.

    @Italiafinlandia:: definitely.

    @Nancy: I think so

    @Gattina: geographically speaking our Chinatown is small.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @David: I'd like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice variety. The light sculpture is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nice light sculpture there. Chinese communities always stay in their own area with porches to mark their neighbourhood. I Amsterdam they did the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sure live in a "cool" place! Henry says hi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a wonderful variety of images.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here our Mexican restaurants celebrate Dia de los Muertos, Day of the Dead...and I've seen some photos of Mexicans honoring their dearly departed with night vigils and parties, eating near the tombs whatever the favorite foods of their loved ones had been, lots of marigolds and candles. OK, going off on a tangent here...love the Chinese archway too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a nice wander, William!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your shots of the Ottawa Locks and of the National War Memorial are wonderful, and nice to see some shots of the light show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like Dia De Muertos motif too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy these visits around Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to see Ottawa. Nice looking arch in Chinatown.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting images and places, I like the Chinatown arch and the lions...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those lions look very Italian! In Italy there are lions everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Anvilcloud: I'll have to get closer now that there's not a pile of snow out there.

    @Marianne: there are a good number in my area.

    @Iris: I figured you'd appreciate the lions.

    @Tom: always good to do.

    @Magiceye: thank you!

    @Barbara: it's an unusual tradition to me.

    @RedPat: and a pleasure to show it.

    @Jan: thank you!

    @Klara: as do I.

    @Marie: I enjoy showing them.

    @Bill: it's a distinctive arch.

    @Karl: the lions are quite a sight.

    @Sharon: we have our share.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous Chinese gate!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting assortment of pictures. That is a beautiful gate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Chinatown arch is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Chinatown looks inviting. Those lions are impressive as well. The light sculpture beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Grandma, what large nails you have, said Red Riding Hood to the post office lions.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much I love a rambling through town or anywhere actually! Great photos that's a beautiful arch into Chinatown!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super selection of shots William. The light sculpture on the hill looks a little like an alien spaceship from far 😉

    ReplyDelete
  29. A wonderful selection of photos today. I love that colorful wall.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Happyone: indeed.

    @Wilf: definitely.

    @DJan: I think so.

    @Marleen: I see it each day.

    @Gemel: thank you.

    @JOanne: indeed.

    @Karen: thanks!

    @Grace: I can see that.

    @Jeanie: thank you.

    ReplyDelete