Wednesday, November 17, 2021

New Edinburgh Visit

For those of you not on Facebook or otherwise aware, have a look right here at a post from my writer's blog for how my weekend went. I guarantee yours was better.

The Rideau Falls are enchanting. On this particular day the flow was strong.


The fall colours along the bank caught my eye shortly before I crossed the bridge going over the east branch.


A view from above.


And this is from the overlook on Green Island.


Across the river again, to Leamy Lake Park on the Gatineau side.


And once more at the bridge.


From here I went towards some of the monuments occupying the park. 


This was actually my last shot of that day (the mobile battery gave out at this point and I wasn't able to photograph the west branch of the falls). This statue of Canadian soldier, doctor, and poet John McCrae is one of a matching pair; the other is in his hometown of Guelph, Ontario. McCrae is the author of the poem In Flanders Fields, written after the death of a friend during the First World War while he was serving at the front.


Earlier in this visit I had approached the main entrance of Rideau Hall, which stands amid some of the best addresses in the city. Across Sussex Drive is 24 Sussex Drive, the official residence of the Prime Minister. A police gatehouse is all we can really see of it, at left. And the residence is under renovations at the moment and the PM and his family are living at one of the residences on the grounds at Rideau Hall. At the heart of the large roundabout here is a statue of Queen Elizabeth II. With the work going on at Parliament Hill, the statue has been moved here. A fitting decision, I think.


Turning around, a look towards the main gate for Rideau Hall. The property is a bit under eighty acres, and much of that is accessible to the public for a walk.


Another turn and we see at right 7 Rideau Gate. This is an official residence used by the government to house foreign dignitaries during visits. Tomorrow we venture onto the grounds of Rideau Hall.

28 comments:

  1. Great shots! The waterfall is dramatic and your skies are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is quite a special light in some of your photos today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rideau Falls really are enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Beautiful skies and pretty views of the waterfall and statues! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Rideau Falls are enchanting as Rosemary says. I read your other blog and send my commiseration. With two blogs and the daily imperative to take pictures I suspect that your hands barely touch anything but a computer or a camera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The falls, the autumnal colours and the art, all so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me with that first photo. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...Ottawa has an amazing collection of statues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Linda: thank you.

    @Italiafinlandia: it was one of those days.

    @Rosemary: very much so.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @David: it helps that I tend to put several posts together at once, so at present I'm a couple of weeks ahead in the photo blog. If I were setting up each post the day before it went live, I would have to step away. This week, that other post is the only one getting posted that wasn't already pending.

    @Magiceye: thank you.

    @Marie: that it is.

    @Tom: definitely.

    @Catarina: thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is like I can hear the sound of the fall and the view is wonderful. Great photos and beautiful sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to seeing more of these residences. I didn't know it was 80 acres.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots of the waterfalls again. And some nice skies too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first photo is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous photography ~ Falls are always dramatic for photos ~ Great colors in your photos too ~ ^_^

    Living in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @RedPat: thank you.

    @Sharon: very much so.

    @Nancy: it's a good spot.

    @Red: when I come back next time, hopefully the building itself is open for tours again.

    @Jan: it was a good day.

    @Bill: I think so.

    @Carol: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice place ! Is that Queen Elisabeth on the horse ? I don't see very often women on a horse !

    ReplyDelete
  17. That waterfall is gorgeous and I like seeing the fall color in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Las cataratas se ven preciosas. Es una gran belleza que nos regala la Naaturaleza.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's quite a gatehoue! And I really do love the shot of the falls. Very powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That first photo is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All lovely photographs, especially the first one.

    I had a look over at your other blog.
    That was quite a fall! Feel better soon.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Gattina: she wouldn't be doing it now, but she was an accomplished rider.

    @Michelle: thank you.

    @Revrunner: it was a good day.

    @Ventana: thank you.

    @Jeanie: thanks!

    @Gemel: I agree.

    @Jan: thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful pictures William!! The falls look like a miniature Niagara Falls!!! I hope you are healing well!!

    ReplyDelete