Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Christmas Lights In The Capital

Today and tomorrow I close out the Christmas series with lights in the capital. I start with this view on the Sparks Street pedestrian mall.


A few blocks away at City Hall, trees are decorated. The Cartier Square Drill Hall neighbours the contemporary wing of City Hall in the background.


Across the street from City Hall is Confederation Park. Its Christmas decorating is a bit different. Balls of light are hung between trees, and instead of lights wound around branches, coloured spotlights from the ground illuminate the trees.


The Lord Elgin Hotel is lit up in the background here. The National Aboriginal Veterans Monument can be seen in silhouette against it.


The National Arts Centre looms in the background in this shot.


One more view looking into the park. I was heading up the street from here past the NAC.


The NAC is part of the boundary of Confederation Square, and the National War Memorial is the heart of the square. Christmas lights were ringing around the trees surrounding it.


From here I proceeded to Parliament Hill. For many years in the summers there has been a light show called Northern Lights projected onto Centre Block. It has a winter counterpart, on from early December into early January, and it turns out to be back, even with the work going on in Centre Block. The light show is a new one compared to when I last saw it in 2019; I don't know if it was on last year at all, and I wasn't around during the summer at night to see if Northern Lights was being held this past summer. If you're in the area, the show is about fifteen minutes long, repeating on the quarter hour from past five until eleven or so in the evenings.

38 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Why can´t we have this all year round. I would never get bored or tired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas is beautiful over there. Magical feel with the colourful lights and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those lights on the parliament buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful views of the Christmas lights.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be curmudgeonly, but I have participated in a couple of seminars over the past few years on the impact of power generation on the environment, and it has always been of great concern that little is done to encourage energy conservation by everyone, and it seems to me that extravaganzas like this set a very poor example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Italiafinlandia: that they are

    @Iris: some of us would tire of it.

    @Nancy: we have a lot of both.

    @Tom: I thought so.

    @Marianne: it is.

    @Marie: it's quite a show.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @David: I remain dubious that it's energy efficient.

    @Magiceye: thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I try to be responsible by having solar lights outside but it has been so grey lately that I have had about 15 minutes of a display most days and then darkness. Like David I do worry about the energy consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love holiday lights so much. I leave mine on as long and as late as I can. Your city does it well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new lightshow at Parliament Hill is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. New technology has completely changed Christmas decorations. You don't have to climb ladders or trees anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of pretty lights but that light show is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very elegant 'light show' and great night photography ~


    Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bare trees lit up are always the most magical to me.
    Nice variety of photo locations

    ReplyDelete
  14. @RedPat: it is something to worry about.

    @Jeanie: I don't do them, but that's me.

    @Jan: it was well put together.

    @Red: that is true.

    @Sharon: more tomorrow.

    @anvilcloud: definitely.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Bill: that it is.

    @Maywyn: thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wauu, so wonderful lights.
    We got snow here in my area in South Finland for Christmas. And now the landscape is white.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I fully meant to go see them here in town, but just not up to it!
    I am happy to see these. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it weren't for the blog I probably wouldn't photograph Christmas stuff.

      Delete
  17. It is so comforting to see all those colourful lights! Thank you, William.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow beautiful lights🎉🎉🎉

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for showing these beautiful lights, William. Sights like these are always my holiday favorite.

    ReplyDelete