Saturday, December 25, 2021

Peace On Earth

Merry Christmas.

For this occasion I focus on churches, taken over the last few weeks. Wreaths are on the doors at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church downtown.


This is one of the primary entrances to the sanctuary.


Wreaths are also present at Notre Dame Basilica.


These are taken on another morning, early before dawn. Centretown United Church includes these wreaths on their main entrance.


Here we have St. Giles Presbyterian Church in the Glebe.


Some lights were on inside, and the stained glass windows caught my eye, drawing me across the street.


A couple of blocks away is Fourth Avenue Baptist Church.


Another day in mid-December, I was back around Notre Dame and took this shot from the grounds of the National Gallery. A much brighter day than the one above, and a careful eye will note that both of the Christmas trees were in the upright position this time.

A photo shoot was underway underneath the sculpture Maman, by Louise Bourgeois. 


A short walk away is the Elisabeth Bruyere Hospital. Connected to it is Mother House, and this is the main entrance. This is the home of the Sisters of Charity, otherwise known as the Grey Nuns. Elisabeth Bruyere came to Ottawa as a young nun and would establish educational and hospital institutions here, leaving a large legacy in the city and the country. There's a church inside the convent for the sisters; I have been inside once during Doors Open. The main entrance fits the place.


A few days back I was coming back from the Portage Bridge area and stopped at Cathedral Hill. Here we have Christ Church Cathedral, an Anglican church.


Its neighbour is St. Peter's Lutheran Church.


And some blocks to the east, I finish with two shots from where I started: St. Andrew's. The back part of the church emerges from the modern office building behind it.


This is the front entrance of the church, with Christmas green on the wreaths and lining the entrance.

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the photos. Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. They are all pretty.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful churches!
    Merry Christmas to you! I wish you all the best in 2022, a Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ones. Somehow I saw none here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and what a wonderful gift that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't wish you Merry Christmas, William, since I know that it is not a good time of year for you. Taking a line from the gas station attendant when we had full service, "Have a great day".

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful selection of churches for today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mari: thank you.

    @Italiafinlandia: you're welcome.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Iris: I tend to look for them.

    @Tom: it seemed an appropriate title.

    @David: I'm spending the day quietly, taking care of myself. It'll soon pass.

    @Sharon: it felt appropriate for today.

    @Catarina: well said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely captures of beautiful churches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourite is that last shot. Peace to you this holiday season, William.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas William! I liked the wreaths on the doors in the first shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice shots of all the churches and the beautiful wreaths.
    Wishing you good times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The last shot is my favorite too. Enjoy they day in whatever you do, William.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the wreaths on all the churches.
    Wishing you a peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice touch in this post to feature the churches.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Magiceye: thank you.

    @Marie: I'm getting there.

    @RedPat: me too.

    @Jan: thanks.

    @Bill: in my case quietly.

    @happyone: the wreaths are a good touch.

    @Red: it was appropriate.

    @Aritha: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos of awesome door ways and wreathes ~


    Merry Christmas to You,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very tranquil photos. The wreaths are particularly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the pics of the green door and wreaths at St Andrews.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the simple beauty of them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a wonderful series! Enjoyed it like a brisk Winter Walk William

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for these elegant, stately and well-crafted churches. Each has their own special qualities.

    ReplyDelete