Sunday, July 2, 2023

Odds and Ends In A National Capital

 I have some odds and ends from the last few weeks in the national capital region for the next couple of days. We start on a night in early May when I was out at Lansdowne Park on a late night walk. With the Moon just shining some light through the clouds, it made for interesting visual effects. My first shot from the east side of the property looked towards the stadium. I then shifted to look over at the Aberdeen Pavilion.


Coming back from Gatineau during the Tulip Festival, I paused on the Alexandra Bridge to take these shots above the Ottawa River. First we have the familiar sight of Parliament Hill.


This looks directly upstream towards the Portage Bridge, where I had crossed into Gatineau earlier in the day.


And this looks back at the grounds of the Canadian Museum of History.


A short walk from the bridge is the National Gallery of Canada, and here we have a look at Notre Dame, across the street.


Maman by Louise Bourgeois is always popular for photo ops- if not for arachnophobes.


The church is the grandest in the city.


Back into the core, I took a shot I often take- the last stretch of the Rideau Canal before it descends through the Ottawa Locks down to the Ottawa River, surrounded by landmarks.


During the Tulip Festival I had visited a fudge vendor a couple of times at Dow's Lake. One of those occasions I came away with two slabs- peanut butter and Reeses pieces. One of these was enough for one sitting, and the other went back into a tupperware container and the fridge.


In the middle of May, I was back at Lansdowne Park on what looked like a stormy day but didn't turn out that way. This looks up the slope alongside the stadium. The sculpture here is a light sculpture.


I have developed an appreciation for novelty socks. This is the latest pair; the floral pattern doesn't fit me, but the saying? Pure me.

46 comments:

  1. Your love of your home makes us feel it too William. Happy Canada Day weekend. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Las fotografías nocturnas, son muy atractivas, también me he fijado en el gran caudal que lleva el río y en la maravillosa arquitectura de la iglesia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sculpture looking quite something. The socks are seemingly covered by viral particles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, but viral particles also makes sense.

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    Happy Canada Day! Love the views of the night sky and the river. The spider is cool, a great photo op. Love the church and the fudge looks yummy. Cute sock! Take care, enjoy your day and have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That night sky looks like the end of the world.

    Fudge! Ok, I have forgotten about the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...Ottawa is filled with eye candy and fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the saying on the socks. Perfect! That first shot is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice serie with al lot of variation. The shot of the sculpture on the slope is my favorite today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice set of pics. I appreciate seeing the occasional night photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Socks might be firework bursts as well. Liked the fudge (of course) as well as variety of photos all over the city...the places I'd like to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful first two captures, as all of your photos are wonderful, I like the setting of the evening darkness, and the sweets are nice. The spider a bit scary, but outstanding artwork indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As national capitals go, Ottawa competes with the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos especially the night shots ~ delish looking fudge and fun socks ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll take the fudge. You keep the socks! Great variety in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went yum on your fudge and have to say your socks gave me a chuckle. Lovely scenes around the city.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's nice to see those blue skies - it has been a while since we have had a clear sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it seems. I wish Canada Day had been like that.

      Delete
  17. Love the first night shot. The fudge looks irresistible

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that is some spider. Sure glad it isn't real.
    I'd sure like a piece of that fudge!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos of the city. Also, I HAVE THE SAME SOCKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are great socks. I love novelty socks, too. And peanut butter fudge.... be still my heart.

    ReplyDelete