Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Python

 Curled up beneath a hollowed out log, a formidable sight- the reticulated python, looking my way. They live in southeast Asia.


This fellow is a sculpture, a long term occupant of the Museum. You would not want to get this close to the real thing.


The Asian Water Dragon ranges from India through China.


I finish today with the star of the show, this furball hanging behind a tree. Linneaus's Two-Toed Sloth calls northern South America home. Good luck getting a clear shot, as these guys are well known for, well... their sloth. I estimated it might take this guy three weeks to make his way around the enclosure.


Here you get a look at his leg, clinging to the branch overhead. I expect he was napping. It's possible this sloth is a perpetual part of the Museum's collection, usually kept off site, as I remember a previous temporary exhibit on slow animals featured a sloth.

38 comments:

  1. Exciting change of pace. William! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A los reptiles, no me acerco, a no ser que haya una buena protección.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The python looks very life like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen many a sloth in Panama and Costa Rica. They are indeed interesting animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...snakes and alligators are not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this exhibit and the wildlife. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool though I don't think I would want to really meet one

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can just manage to deal with a garter snake. The python would be a creature too much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of a variety of critters ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like sloths but not snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sloth has the right idea about staying calm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, William, I've missed visiting your interesting blog posts. So interesting to see a real sloth,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah, snakes are best left alone but they can be so beautiful. I scrolled back to see where all these wonders were and this Natural History Museum is in a beautiful building and I loved all the exhibits and live animals that you've shared (so far? -- I'll check back). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots of all these different creatures. I have always been fascinated by reptiles ever since I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete