Wednesday, August 7, 2024

An Allegory Of The Arts

 I begin today with another work by a Dutch artist- but certainly not a Dutch landscape. This is Waterfall, by Jacob Van Ruisdael, dating to the 1660s.


Here we have an unusual work- As The Old Sing, So The Young Pipe, by Jacob Jordaens and his workshop, dating circa 1640.


Peter Lely painted The Countess Of Meath around 1674.


This is The Glory Of Saint Eusebius, a final design that was transferred in full scale to the ceiling of a church. This is by Anton Raphael Mengs, dating around 1757.


Young Woman With A Fan looks like she's had enough of the artist. This is by Pietro Rotari, and dates circa 1754-56.


An Allegory Of The Arts is by Giuseppe Maria Crespi, and dates around 1730.

28 comments:

  1. Did u spot that owl in the second pic? So cool! The use of the colour gold can be seen in each of these works. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post, I just discovered your blog via Bill's.

    I love the Dutch landscape paintings of the mannerist style. They create such spectacular - if unreal - fantastic landscapes. I believe he enorlled to become a doctor at one point in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Waterfall is my favorite by far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun paintings. Well rendered, but each offers something that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are stunning paintings. I wish I knew more about art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a show on TVO last night about Peter Lely and his works. And there he is here today, William.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine art, nicely photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the young woman would like to whack the artist with her fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great art works ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. An excellent collection of paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fascinating collection of artworks! Each piece offers a unique glimpse into different periods and styles, from Van Ruisdael’s dramatic waterfall to Crespi’s allegory. Thanks for sharing these intriguing works!

    I just posted a new blog post www.melodyjacob.com, I invite you to read, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, good comment about the young woman, I will get that look sometimes while out doing street photography.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'Waterfall' by Jacob Van Ruisdaelis my favorite.

    ReplyDelete