Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Champlain On The Bridge

We've been here before. I was heading onto Plaza Bridge before Thanksgiving when my eyes fell on that bright autumn red of the tree below. I've shown this location before as well, from a different angle. The wall you see is that same area where back in September I showed you the Muskoka chairs, and the staircase with the paintings is directly below (the painting's gone now). The glass structure over on the other side of the Canal is the new Convention Centre. I'll take you in there sometime; it's a spectacular use of space. 


After taking this shot, I looked over onto the bridge, and couldn't resist taking another shot of the Chateau Laurier. Below the bridge, you can see the underlying arch I've shown you before at night. 


The sidewalk on this side of Plaza Bridge is quite wide, out in front of the Government Conference Centre. For the last few years, this space has been used in the summer for the placement of interpretive panels and  displays of history. In previous years, anniversaries of the Coast Guard or Navy were the theme, or the establishment of National Parks. This year, being the four hundredth anniversary of Champlain's coming up the Ottawa River, the theme has been on the explorer, with a series of panels displaying his story and what the places he passed through now look like. 






18 comments:

  1. The Chateau Laurier. certainly is an impressive building, isn't it? I didn't realize this year marked the 400th anniversary of Champlain's visit to the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. He opened up a lot of new possibilities.

      And the Chateau is one of my favourite subjects to capture.

      Delete
  2. The interactive panels are genius! And what's the history on that gorgeous castle? I'm off to Google.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a century old now, and a magnificent hotel. Named in honour of one of our prime ministers.

      Delete
  3. Four-hundredth anniversary! How time flies:) Great theme to mark...and also beautiful building there..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'll have to go on inside and show a bit of the interior!

      Delete
  4. Me too - waiting for the inside. What a beautiful building. The panels are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember walking through for a Doors Open. What a place!

      Delete
  5. 400 years! Wow! He probably wanted to take some pix of the lovely scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly wrote about it. That reminds me, I have to get up to Nepean Point sometime to show the statue there without the scaffolding that was in place last time....

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! Especially the fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1613... So long ago!
    Welcome to CDP btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love Chateau Laurier! I enjoyed a lovely high tea there when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done that myself, but I really ought to!

      Delete