Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Writing Is On The Wall

Another room within the Rectory Art House. The artist, Lori Victor, was on hand in the room, where one wall was covered in these framed words, a mass of frames all organized and grouped together. I'm glad I picked up her artist statement. There were a hundred of these frames assembled on the wall. The words themselves were done in embroidery, and all of them were words that can be taken in more than one way. She deliberately chose the contrast of lighting the room like a cozy living room and the delicacy of embroidery as a technique, juxtaposed against the harsh words. 


  They are all terms used in reference to women, some very modern (Yummy Mummy was one such example), and others that have fallen out of use, dating back centuries. Her embroidery of the words was stylized, as you can see, in a font that goes back to the 1700s, and she asks the question: with these words still being emphasized in one way or another, does that mean women are marginalized, and if so, why?


10 comments:

  1. Hi William, just catching up on your ODP posts, tres interesting. The Rectory Art House would have been a fantastic visit. I must admit I find artists and their creative minds very stimulating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Grace--good to see you online!

    William, you're having way too much fun...and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's incredible. I love hearing about the process behind an artist's work. It's quite an interesting notion given just how many labels we have accumulated for women over time, so good and some not so good. Brings into question why men don't have the issue of being labeled quite so much. I sure am loving this blog. You must be as bad as I am - with a camera (or phone) attached to you everywhere you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fascinating to have her in the room talking about her process.

      And yes, I do have the mobile ready at a moment's notice!

      Delete
  4. Interesting! Such fertile minds to come up with stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is pretty unusual, and it has a good concept, but I don't think I will put it over my mantel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be the sort of thing I'd go for, but she intended the entire set as a collection.

      Delete