Saturday, October 26, 2013

Falling Leaves

Over to the right, you'll notice the City Daily Photo icon. Click on that, and it takes you right to the site, where photographers around the world have their blogs posted. I added it on here; I've been in touch with the person in charge, and while there are a few things going on with the site at the moment, have been told to get back in touch around the end of the month if I'm not formally listed in the site. Anyway, CDP starts out the month with a theme for the day. This November 1st, the theme is Heights. This theme was easy to choose, and I've already taken my pics. 

Back to it then. Today and tomorrow I'll wrap up the fall blogs; after that, autumn colours will no doubt be turning up in the odd pics, but the peak of the season is passing. When I took this in Old Ottawa South a few days ago, the red leaves of these maples on a quiet street had reached full colours, and had started falling.


These shots are taken along the Rideau Canal, coming through the Arboretum, which I'll expand on in the next blog. The shots were taken on the Thanksgiving weekend; at present, the water levels have been lowered for the winter season.



Another shot of the Canal, from the Mackenzie King Bridge, gives you a view of the Laurier Bridge to the south.



And this last one is up near the National Arts Centre (there in the background), a monument facing the War Memorial. This is Brigadier Andrew Gault, soldier, industrialist, and founder of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regiment. The regiment was named for a granddaughter of Queen Victoria, and despite the odd name, it has a long history and a fierce reputation. It dates back to the First World War, when Gault was a mere captain, and the regiment has served through the Second World War, Korea, Afghanistan, and NATO and UN Operations since, still active today. The shot was taken in the last few days, but the statue stands out well against the trees behind it. I'll have to take this shot again in the winter.


18 comments:

  1. Interesting. You've got some rather cool reflections that you could link to the weekend reflections meme too!

    Heights may sound easy peasy to you but I'm stuck with having to find some sort of interpretation and basically, sheer luck at what I'll find walking around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure a theme will come across that leaves me stumped. I've seen that meme around in photoblogs before...

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful! You live in a lovely city, partner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from the presence of politicians!

      Delete
    2. Agreed, Norma! And I love the shot of the Laurier Bridge, reflecting in the canal, William. Very nice!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful leaves. I love that bridge reflected in the water!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll photograph it from time to time. I've always liked that bridge.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, that reflected bridge is a beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The canal gives you a wonderful subject for a vast variety of photographs in all seasons.

    The statue is handsome. You can also take many different photos of it in different weather and different seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. The canal has different moods in different seasons, and so many different possibilities.

      Delete
  6. I agree that the yellow leaves are an excellent backdrop for the monument.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pic of the bridge. It has all the symmetry of a Chinese Moon bridge. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete