Thursday, March 21, 2024

Farm

 Last weekend, I headed out to the Experimental Farm, a government farm located in the city, to visit the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum, another of our national museums in the area. It had been several years since I had last been here. Making my way through the grounds of the farm, I noticed two Canada geese having breakfast. The second pair I've seen as winter has broken.


The Farm is on four square kilometres of land, dating to the 19th century, and was founded for government research in agriculture. This continues today, but beyond that, the Farm has recreational and educational aspects. Here at the north end of the property, one of the numerous buildings is an observatory.


Historical plaques commemorate Sir Sanford Fleming and William Frederick King, who made big contributions to science and geography.


Several greenhouses were along the way.


This one is open to the public- but not on weekends.


Tropical plants are inside, creating a humid environment. I took a couple of shots through the glass.


I'll leave off here today. This house, along with many of the buildings on site, still houses government work. The barn in the background at left is the Dairy Barn- a part of the museum itself.

40 comments:

  1. Beautiful buildings and glass greenhouses adorn this Museum of Agriculture. Especially the small observatory is beautiful. Thanks for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The greenhouses looks very much like the ones I grew up with. The observatory building is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are establishments like that here in Finland too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canada geese are back in Ontario for sure! Two weeks ago I woke, two mornings in a row, to hear a pair of them talking on or close to my roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen more of them since. These ones will still be on the move north.

      Delete
    2. They certainly do make their presence known.

      Delete
    3. That they do! One year they spent 4-5 weeks on the ledge of my home. I was not permitted to move them. Psychological war ensued. I think they won!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful buildings, I like the domes. The greenhouses open to the public are nice! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...they sure built things with style back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be nice to have greenhouses that one could visit closer by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s been many years since I visited the farm with my grandchildren. Perhaps it’s time for another visit without them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That old greenhouse is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As prairie farm kids we knew about the government experimental farm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had an interesting trip to this experimental farm. Our university also has experimental farms, but none of the buildings are so grand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an interesting idea. I like the architecture of some of the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating place and photos ~ wonderful to see and hear about ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a cool institution. William. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to laugh when you mentioned you saw a couple of Canada geese as we are overrun with them here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can imagine it was very hot and humid inside the building where the tropical plants were.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete