Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Odds And Ends

 Today I have some odds and ends from the last few weeks. Sunflowers were in abundance outside a Centretown shop one day in September.


After my visit to the Bytown Museum, I took photographs beneath the arches of Plaza Bridge, where it crosses over the Ottawa Locks of the Rideau Canal.


Taken on a day early this month, this is Christ The Saviour Orthodox Church.


A few blocks away I had to cross the street because of a moving van, with a ramp blocking the sidewalk. On the other side of the street was a vehicle with the markings of the same moving company. This supreme life form was sitting in the front seat looking at me.


Until something else caught their eye.


Later that day, after an excursion into the Gatineau Hills, I stopped by the Canadian Museum of Nature in Gatineau, where I took this shot of the exhibition wing.


I shifted my view to the left for this view of the Ottawa River and the familiar landmarks across the way. A tree was losing its leaves- a hint of my next series.


And shifting over to the left gives us the Alexandra Bridge, linking Gatineau and Ottawa here. The parkland of Nepean Point, where the bridge passes into Ottawa, is under development, and the news recently came out that this spot will be renamed Kiweki Point. It's a decision the National Capital Commission made in consultation with First Nations peoples; Kiweki means "returning to one's homeland" in the Algonquin language. 

Since I've had Nepean Point in my tags for this headland from the start, I'll keep using it, but just add its new name in as well.


On another day I photographed this large stained glass window inside the main branch of the Ottawa Library. I assume this one is going to be part of the new main branch on Lebreton Flats in a few years. Time will tell. Giants of literature are depicted within.


I was passing by a clothing shop some days ago and saw this jacket in the window. It made me laugh. That pretty much sums me up.


And lastly I have this, close to my first shot of the day. It's kind of pointless for me, since I shave my head, but if I did have need of a barbershop, I'd go to one that can consistently and correctly spell haircut.

Come on guys, this is your whole job.

30 comments:

  1. I like the view of Ottawa River and the Alexandra Bridge. Nice day for walking and taking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a? Hercut? Seeing your reflected hands produced an interesting shock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection of photos. I love the view of the river, the sunflowers and the cute kitty. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a church quite like that. It looks like it was something else first, then remodeled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the spelling of "haircut." If they can't pay attention to their advertising I don't want to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...it's good to be a limited edition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nancy: it was a good day.

    @Cloudia: thank you.

    @Stefan: it's a good jacket.

    @Eileen: such a kitty.

    @Sandi: no, built as a church.

    @David: it's sloppy.

    @Francisco: thanks.

    @Tom: I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting collection of odds and ends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cat perhaps being kept safe whilst the move took place?:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cat and also the blue skies over the water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, I always like the photos of your walks in Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a pleasant gadabout. I liked the reference to the supreme beings. I may use that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice stroll about your city...Ms. Cat was a surprise to you, and you to herself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos. Sunflowers are so pretty and happy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You keep variety in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The jacket is awesome. Paying a person to do your sign and seeing a mistake is embarrassing. Proof read anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Rosemary: thank you.

    @Rosie: possibly!

    @RedPat: that cat was a sweetie.

    @Sharon: it's a good one.

    @Jan: in a couple of days it'll be outside of Ottawa!

    @Anvilcloud: once you accept that cats are the ultimate form of life on earth, peace and contentment follow.

    @Barbara: I enjoyed seeing the kitty.

    @Happyone: they definitely are.

    @Red: I try to!

    @Bill: and it's been like that since at least Covid restrictions started easing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun and creative series of photos ~ love the cat ~ and the tunnels are intriguing ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The look on the cat’s face is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the sunflowers, jumper and the supreme being =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some gorgeous photos here, William. Of course, the Superior Life Form is my favorite. What a beautiful creature. Love it when you mix it up like this!

    ReplyDelete